Thursday, July 21, 2011

Great Basin Flowers part 5

The onion flowers were fairly uncommon throughout the valley, so it was fun to find them. I've been told that the identification comes down to the pattern on the skin around the bulb. These top two pictures could be the same species, or they could be different. Still, they are pretty only if I know the genus. ;)



Saskatoon Serviceberry (Amelanchier alnifolia) was fairly common along streams. It was no where as near as common as the chokecherries though. I didn't get to try the fruit to see if it was as good as our juneberries.

I don't know which Arctostaphylos or bearberry this is. It was blooming at at 10,000 feet on Mount Wheeler.

I think this pricklypoppie is Argemone munita. It was blooming outside the entrance to the NP.

No comments: