Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Point Mariah Trail Marathon

 

Saturday, August 3, 2024, was the Point Mariah Trail Marathon put on by the Donner Party Mountain Runners.  The race hadn’t been on my radar for long, but it looked fun and everything came together to make it happen.  The race was less than an hour from the Reno airport, which made travel easier.  Some friends were interested also, so I started to prepare for the race.  I wanted to build up my endurance, but I didn’t have the time or energy to really put in the big mileages like I used to.  I also had to make sure I was smart about my joints and feet.  Nothing in central Indiana can prepare you for mountains, so my plan was to get in good cardio shape.  I know I have the mental toughness down, and I have been learning about fueling and electrolyte levels through trial and error over the years. 

I really studied the race map.  The setup was interesting as it had only one aid station that you passed through four times.  You ran to the aid station from the start finish (the orange loop), did the blue loop to Point Mariah, the yellow loop up Rowton Peak, the pink loop up Rowton Peak, and then headed back to the start finish line on the orange loop.  The elevation gain was a healthy 4300’ with a max altitude of 7600’ on top of Rowton Peak.  The highlight was Point Mariah itself, with the picturesque swing on the end of the ridge. 

I spent the night camping at the start finish line (a ski resort) to save some money.  I had a good hammock spot set up, but midnight rain encouraged me to move under the awning of the ski resort.  It rained off an on from midnight until morning, which was good to put a damper on the dust.  The earth was so dry and dusty that the rain didn’t ever puddle or runoff.  I helped the crew setting up in the morning and evening to pass time.  It was fun to get to talk to the staff.  Trail runners are good people. 

In the morning, I had plenty of time to get myself ready.  My friends showed up about a half hour before the race and I stored my camping gear and luggage in the car.  I was determined to take things easy from the start (photographer Riley Bathurst) and not to get caught up in the rush of the start.  Heading straight up Soda Spring hill would help me accomplish that.  The hill didn’t look too big, but the trail went pretty close to straight up the ski runs and took about a mile to summit.  This section of “trail” was very loose rock and dust.  The top was bare rock.  Despite starting in the back and walking, I lost my friend Pamela.  I walked for a while after the summit waiting for her to catch up.  I never caught sight of her.  The south side of Soda Springs hill was a beautifully runnable trail, with smooth pine needle cushioned downhill trail through deep shady forest.  The kind of trail that begs you to run.  Looking at my watch, I knew I had to get running to achieve my goal of finishing before the eight hour cutoff.  I reluctantly settled into a groove, but I kept watching for Pamela.  This first leg, the orange loop, was fairly easy after Soda Springs hill.  The race course eventually left the trail and cut off through a meadow towards some cross-country ski trails through the forest around the Ice Lakes.  There were up and downs, but over all it was decent running with a good surface and shade.  Right before the aid station, the trail headed down the hill to the dam across Serena Creek.  The small dam was about a foot wide with a big drop on the downstream side, but luckily the water wasn’t flowing over the dam.  A race staffer was there to make sure made it across safely.  Once across the dam, there was a gravel road that took you to the aid station.

Having just one aid station allowed the organizers to put all of their resources into making it an amazing aid station.  They had everything I could want.  Watermelon, orange slices, pickles, pickle juice, water, pb&j sandwich quarters, and boiled potato chunks with salt to dip them in.  I filled up my camelbak every time I came to the aid station.  I ate as much as I could and headed out on the blue loop to Point Mariah.  I had to head back up the road a little ways before a trail cut down to Serena Creek.  The loop started on a wide level bridal or ski trail, but pretty quickly left the broad trail and started switching back and forth as it climbed the ridge.  It started raining pretty steadily at this point.  I walked until the trail climbed out of the scrub and crested the ridge.  The ridge top was bare rock and dust except for scattered low growing flowers like buckwheat.  The views were incredible with low clouds blowing through the mountains.  The trail worked back down the far side of the ridge before making its way along to the point.  The inbound runners and the outbound runners to Point Mariah shared the trail for a while.  At the end of the point was the famous swing (photographer Riley Bathurst).  I took some time to swing there and enjoyed the view out over the royal gorge.  There was a whiskey aid station there, but I decided to pass on that.  The trail back from the point took the broad trail back that was fairly runnable.  I kept my eyes open for Pamela, but never saw her.  The trail went through a patch of thimble berries.  It snacked on a couple and noticed that a large mammal had been doing the same. 

After refueling at the aid station, I headed off on the third loop.  This was the first ascent of Rowton Peak.  The trail left from the aid station and started climbing a mountain bike trail going up the mountain.  It was winding and worked back and forth across the mountain as it climbed.  I walked most of this and this loop felt the longest to me.  Actually, according to my watch, it was the longest.  The sun came out and felt pretty intense.  Eventually I got to Lola’s lookout, which was where the loop turned around and took another trail back down the mountain.  In general, the downhill was less winding and narrow.  I wouldn’t say I ever hit the wall on this race, but this loop was the hardest mentally.  I was alone most of it, the sun was bright, and there weren’t many landmarks to set your mind on.  I tried to focus on being present in the moment and enjoying where I was and what I was experiencing.  I made it down to the aid station ready for the challenge of the fourth loop, which had the steepest climb.  The aid station had made quesadillas, which were amazing. 

This was probably the warmest part of the day.  The pink loop didn’t beat around the bush, it just headed up the mountain.  It wasn’t in the forest long, but was in more open, sunny brush.  As I climbed up the dusty trail, I noticed the sky getting darker.  Thunder rumbled in the distance.  Dark clouds gave me occasional shade, but I felt more vulnerable without any trees around and being on the edge of the mountain.  The trail made it up over Lola’s lookout and continued along the steep drop off.  The views were incredible, but I kept hustling along to get down off the ridgeline.  The storm never broke on me and I made it down off the ridgeline.  The rest of this loop was a fairly decent run through quiet woods.  The race was all down hill from here mentally and I was feeling pumped to finish. 

Pamela was waiting for me at the aid station.  She had finished loop three and had dropped out.  I topped off my pack.  One of the volunteers told me about a concoctions that other racers were trying.  Half pickle juice, half ginger ale.  I made a glass and it was amazing.  I even made another glass.  The race director and Pamela were pumping me up and cheering for me as I headed out on the last loop back to the finish.  I felt fairly good about my chances to finish before the eight hour cutoff.  After crossing the dam and climbing up to the trail, I kept calculating my pace to finish in time.  I knew the last stretch was about 5.5 miles and I had 96 minutes to complete it.  That worked out to around 17 minutes a mile.  With 4.5 miles to go, I had 77 minutes to complete.  I knew I still had Soda Springs hill to climb.  3.5 miles to go, I had an hour left.  I was running most of the time now.  2.5 miles to go, I had 44 minutes left.  Now I was climbing Soda Springs hill.  My walking was as fast as I could go.  I had 25 minutes for my last 1.5 miles and I was still climbing the hill.  It got steeper and the footing was getting bad.  It was loose dust and rock now on the steepest stretch.  After climbing to the top, I could see the finish down at the bottom.  The descent was going to be treacherous, but I had to run as much as I could.  I was not experiencing Charlie horses in my quads (like many other races), but I knew that they had put in serious work and I had to be careful.  I ran across the finish line (photographer Riley Bathurst), crossing at 7:58 elapsed time.  I was overwhelmed and sat down in the shade to recover.  Another finisher must have felt compassion, because she went and got me some food and drink.  I eventually got a burger and picked up my race shirt.  The race director gave me a cool print of Point Mariah.  The race was a blast and I’d recommend it to anyone interested. 

No comments: