Monday, June 11, 2012

Garden Update - Cucurbitaceae

My intention is to put up some garden pictures to share with Paul B. I doubt their wider appeal.
Cucurbitaceae is the squash family. I decided to forgo the traditional 'mound' arrangement for these vines. It didn't seem to be very space efficient and was awkward to weed. This year I put my yellow summer squash, zucchini, and cucumbers in one row. Seems to be working so far, but they have only just started vining. I also mulched around the row to conserve moisture and maybe cut down on the weeds. Above shows an overview of the row, with cucumbers in the front, zucchinis in the middle, and yellow summer squash in the back.

Closeup of a yellow summer squash. This guy has grown several inches since I took the picture.

The zucchinis seem to be coming on strong. One should be ready to harvest today.

The cucumbers are growing well, but are still just flowering. They had a small set back when Laney got into them. We are working on correcting this behavior.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Looks like your squash is growing like gangbusters! Any peppers? Megan was out helping me weed today; I'd been putting it off. Same mulch from last year? Thanks for sharing.