Thursday, May 03, 2012

Great Basin Scenes

Last week a strong front came through, bringing quite a bit of rain with it. I couldn't see the mountains around Ely due to the rain as I drove back to town.

Even when the thermometer says it is cool, if there is bright and intense sunlight, it feels hot. Everything looks like an impressionist painting in the distance, including this Pronghorn.

When I was in Ely in March I was there for the full moon. I wish I had been more aware and had caught it rising above the Schell Creek range. It looked gigantic. This past trip took me there over the new moon. I drove to mountain pass at three am and got out to enjoy the completely dark sky and the milky way. I haven't quite mastered the art of taking pictures of night skies.

Another picture from March. In March the snow made hiking in the mountains nearly impossible. In April the mountain trails were perfect.

No comments: