Thursday, July 28, 2011

Great Basin Snakes

I was excited about the prospect of visiting Nevada when there might be snakes out. Sure enough, everyone was around was talking about how they were seeing rattlesnakes every day, and how careful we'd have to be. I looked under many a promising bush, drove slowly along the roads scanning the shoulders, all to no avail. I never got to see the Great Basin Rattlesnake (Crotalus viridis lutosis) alive. I did see one road killed specimen.

Here is another road kill specimen, the gorgeous Great Basin Gophersnake (Pituophis cantifer). I heard that they were common, but we only saw roadkill. One snake did take off through the brush while we were walking in the valley, and we think it was this guy.

The last day, while driving to the airport, I found this Wandering Gartersnake (Thamnophis elegans) on the road. I took some pictures, and then relocated it to a safer place.



Some people would agree with this photo. ;)

No comments: