Friday, July 29, 2011

Great Basin Flowers part 9

I'll try not to stretch out this flower series too far, but there are still a lot of flower species that I want to share.

We first saw Townsendia in the valley at the beginning of May, but it was pretty common during my June trip. It looked like a very short daisy.

Stanleya pinnata (Showy Prince's Plume) grew in the southern part of the valley in which we were working, where the soil was a little more sandy, and usually near the Astragalus toanus. Quite a pretty mustard.

Globe Mallow was one of the first flowers that I noticed while driving west on I80 from Salt Lake City, the brilliant orange stood out even at highway speeds. Sphaeralcea always looked pretty as a splash of color from a distance.

The next two flower species, Mentzelia (above) and Malacothrix (below) were two of the common yellow flowers in the valley. Although they look nothing alike, it was a challenge at first to keep both names in my head at the same time. One name would drive the other out of my head.

Mentzelia was much smaller than Malacothrix, which reminded me of hawkweed back home.

Twenty-one species of Erigeron have been reported for White Pine County, NV. We saw several species, and all were quite cute.

No comments: