Monday, May 12, 2014

Blackpoll Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata)


Laney and I had just gotten back from our morning run when I heard a Blackpoll Warbler in our spruce tree. I quickly got my binoculars and started looking for him. Soon enough I found him, then a Palm Warbler, a Magnolia Warbler, and a female Black-throated Green Warbler. All were new additions to our yard list. (Which is now at 66 species.)

I took these photos later in the afternoon in my Pin Oak in the front yard. The Blackpoll (or two) has been hanging out all day, singing up a storm.

Here he is posing with a caterpillar he has caught. I am sure my oak appreciates it.

They are not the most colorful of warblers, but they are pretty dapper. They are kind of like a warbler dressed up like a chickadee.

No comments: