Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Great Basin Wildlife

There seemed to be less Pronghorn in the valley this year, but that could be as much to do with it being a drier year than last as the activity. Occasionally, one or two would walk by quite close.

I hardly saw any shrikes in the area in March, but they were quite common in April. The contrasting black and white wing patches and fluttering flight are eye-catching.

Sage Thrashers are the other common large perching bird. Rarely do I get a nice clear and close look. This look didn't last until the next frame snapped on a continuous photo burst.

I turned in this photo on bugguide.net to find out what it was. These beetles were gigantic and fairly common in the valley. It turns out that they are a kind of Darkling Beetle called a Desert Stink Beetle in the genus Eleodes. Maybe even E. obscurus.

I stopped by the Great Horned Owl nest the morning before I left to see how the owlets were doing. Both fuzzy nestlings, plus both adults, peaked out from their nest.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I like your owl nest photo with the whole fam!