Sunday, April 22, 2012

Lucy's Warbler

Lucy's clinging underneath a branch. You can see the nicely colored rufous uppertail coverts.
This is the more typical view of a warbler, silhouetted against the sky.
Showing off the rufous crown patch. Upside down was not a problem.
It is not too frequent that I get to add a 'lifer' warbler. When I noticed Lucy's were on the list for Pahranagat NWR, I kept my eyes and ears open for them. I found this guy gleaning on a massive old cottonwood tree in the valley. Yellow Warblers, House Finches, and Western Kingbirds were also singing, but it was easy to pick their song out. I saw more of them later along the Upper Pahranagat Lake. The trees were chock-full of Yellow-rumped Warblers, with a decent number of Yellow Warblers, and several Wilson's Warblers. (Common Yellowthroats were in the nearby reeds, rounding out the warblers.)

No comments: