Friday, March 16, 2012

Great Basin Birds

A Sage Sparrow poses on the top of a Greasewood. I was in the valley a little earlier this year, and while it was a record mild winter, bird numbers were a bit lower. The Sage Sparrows were common, as were Horned Larks, but not yet in the numbers that they will be soon. I only caught a couple glimpses of Sage Thrashers, one Vesper Sparrow, several Western Meadowlarks, and one Loggerhead Shrike. The raptors haven't quite shown up in the numbers that they were at the end of March last year. We did see a Prairie Falcon, a Golden Eagle, and several Rough-legged Hawks.

Mountain Bluebirds were also present in decent sized flocks on the previously intensively cattle-grazed areas. Maybe the insects are better there. They would fly all around me in those areas.

I didn't get to spend too much time at Cave Lake State Park, due to the snow and mud, but I did get one walk along the Steptoe Creek Trail. A mixed flock of Bushtits and Golden-crowned Kinglets were working the willows over. Robins and Juncos were pretty much the only other birds I saw along the walk. Ravens and Magpies were also present.

An American Avocet walks the beach at Commins Lake. Several small (relative to the Avocet) plovers were accompanying the Avocet. I was excited, until I realized that they were Killdeer. Savannah Sparrows were also at the beach.

No comments: