Monday, June 14, 2010

Swainson's Hawk

I always look forward to an opportunity to see Swainson's Hawks, since they are so uncommon in Indiana. They always seem slightly confusing, though. I have read 'Hawks in Flight' several times, but I am still pretty lost when a Buteo is flying. Even when I catch them on a perch, it is still not simple. (All of these hawks were perched during a rainy day. Maybe that is why I was so lucky to find them perched...)
Intermediate Adult - halfway between the Light Adult and the Dark Adult. The face is not very white, but I suppose that can be from the rain.

Light Adult - the color is bad because of the cloud background, but it is still pretty distinct (and different from the Intermediate Adult).

Light Juvenile - this one confused me, since I didn't have my Sibley in hand. The white head is a little different. As you can see, this can be a variable bird. I didn't even get to see a Dark Adult, Dark Juvenile, or Intermediate Juvenile.

No comments: