Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Okeechobee Ducks

Mottle Duck
I know that the range maps in the Sibley are just a suggestion. According to Sibley, Mallards (and Canada Geese) are not supposed to be in South Florida. (As the very old joke goes, they don't read the books.) Neither or Black Ducks. I thought at first that this was a Black Duck pair. I saw several around Okeechobee, but did not think too much about it and did not get any closer pictures. Then I read about Mottled Ducks in south Florida. Seems like a potential match, especially given the habitat and their behavior. (These weren't golf course or town pond birds.)

Black-bellied Whistling Duck
Another lifer for me was the Black-bellied Whistling Duck. I snapped these pictures with my little running camera, but they turned out to be the only pictures I got of them. I saw them one other time on the lake, but they were just flying by as a storm was moving in. I struck out on the Fulvous Whistling Duck, but I was quite taken with these guys. I guess there is always next time. ;)

No comments: