Friday, September 10, 2010

Grab Bag

There is no real theme to this blog post. I just wanted to get these off my desktop and into a post.
This is a White Marked Tussock Moth (Orgyia leucostigma) that I found while working in Noble County, Indiana. Apparently, this is a very common caterpillars on many of our deciduous trees. This guy was on a Black Cherry. I didn't handle this guy, but I hear that the hairs can be very irritating to skin.

This is our one non-native Orchid in our area. I was still pretty excited to see it while we were on vacation in Canada. After I saw the first one, I started seeing it much more commonly. Helleborine (Epipactis helleborine) is named after its resemblance of flower color to an unrelated European flower.

This is a Click Beetle (Elateridae) that I found while hiking near Crystal River, Florida. It might even be an Eyed click beetle (Alaus ocuilatus), solely based on looking at pictures on google. I didn't have the nerve or opportunity to make it click. It soon flew off. It is hard to tell from the picture, but he is a pretty big beetle, just under two inches, I'd guess.

No comments: