I rode my bike today out near the airport to see a flock of Snow Buntings. I found a large flock, where it had been reported, along 500N, just west of 700W. It was a large flock in a no-till corn field. They had a remarkable knack for blending into the cornhusks and snow (last photo). Then I found another flock at the corner of 500N & 500W (top two photos). This flock had Horned Larks and some Lapland Longspurs mixed in (middle photo). This is the first time that I had seen this lovely birds near home. It would be great to see them in breeding plumage sometime.
Hey Ben, Happy birthday! Also, I really like these bird photos. You did a good job of showing how well they blend in while on the ground. Great birds to have so close to where you live!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE Snow Buntings! The contrasting black and white on their wings when they fly is so beautiful. I think I mentioned on our blog a while back that we were lucky enough to lure Snow Buntings into our yard (along our driveway) earlier this winter with cracked corn and sriped sunflower seed... yard bird #99.
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had some Horned Larks in a couple of those photos, too.